Friday, May 28, 2010

Kate's Banana Dessert

If I'm violating any kind of blogger guideline/etiquette by the way that I'm linking back to the recipes that I'm using will someone please let me know? I'm trying to make sure that I'm giving credit to the places/people that I'm getting my recipes from. I just don't want anyone to think that I'm trying to be shady or steal ideas or anything like that. I'm open to suggestions/criticism. Thanks in advance. On to the good stuff...

Earlier this week I was checking in at Kate's blog (http://katesworldbykate.blogspot.com/) and saw this recipe as her Tuesday Treats feature-http://katesworldbykate.blogspot.com/2010/05/tuesdays-treats-banana-cream-squares.html. I'm always looking for something new and exciting to try so I couldn't wait to get the opportunity to test this recipe out. Little did I know that I would get a request to make something new from the men in my house just last night. So, since I'm nothing if not super nice to my family, I ran to the store to get a couple of things that I didn't have in the house to get the recipe rolling. Once I got the crust in the oven I was getting together the remainder of the ingredients to finish up the recipe. I grabbed a can of sweetened condensed milk out of my pantry and opened it up. Now, I don't know how often you use sweetened condensed milk but apparently I don't use it that often. When I opened the can the milk was a really weird brownish color. I asked my husband if that was what it was supposed to look like and he wasn't sure. So, I did what any other social networking woman would did-I sent a tweet out and waited for a response. And waited some more. Finally I decided to scrap the recipe making for the night because I didn't want to take the risk of poisoning my family. I checked the can to see exactly how old the condensed milk was and to my horror it was from 2007. Another lesson learned-you can't keep sweetened condensed milk for three years!


When I came home from work today I finished making the filling for the banana cream squares and stuck it in the fridge. I left it in there for a couple of hours mainly because I was too busy to get to it between having dinner and going grocery shopping. At this point I did stray from Kate's recipe a little bit. Last night when I made the crust I put the crust crumbs in the oven so that I could use them as a topping like the recipe called for. I must have seen something sparkly in the meantime because the crumbs got a little browner in the over than I would have liked. So tonight when I was putting the dessert together I decided to put my own twist on it. I took some 'Nilla Wafers and crushed them up and put them on top of the pan of banana cream squares. Since I have a healthy appreciation for whipped cream I decided to put a spoonful on top of the squares too.


I was really happy with the end result. My husband and the kids both liked the new "creation". To me it had a perfection combination of sweetness without being overpowering. I can't wait to see what Kate's going to cook/bake up for next week.



1 comment:

  1. Looks SO good! I like how you topped it with cool whip and a slice of banana.

    Did you like the banana slices inside? I think I would forgo them next time.

    ReplyDelete