Monday, May 24, 2010

Pound cake and a lesson learned...

Well, I made it through day one! Thank you so much for all of your kind comments. I'm going to make my way to everyone's blog as I get a chance. This whole blogging thing has been really exciting and kind of scary all at the same time. I thought that I'd be out in the blogosphere talking to myself for a while. Luckily, I have all of you to talk to now. I really couldn't be happier.



I decided to try making pound cake tonight. I used this recipe from Bakerella http://www.bakerella.com/pound-cake-and-petit-fours/ for my adventure. Well, really there was a lack of adventure in the pound cake department. I liked the way it came out and so did my husband. I've only made pound cake one other time and that experience was a nightmare. I used a really big aluminium loaf pan and the pound cake was raw in the middle when I took it out. Definitely not appetizing!






Obviously I'm still honing my photography skills. Hubs just told me that he'll take pictures for me so I might try that next time.

Now for my PSA-if you are making a roast in the pressure cooker and decide that you want to add a can of Coke to make the meat more tender add a bunch of beef stock or water. If you don't you'll end up with a burnt, nasty smelling roast. I may know this from experience. Then again I may not. I actually realized that the roast wasn't smelling as tasty as it usually does and it was starting to smell like burnt sugar. Yeah, that's exactly what it was happening. All of the sugar in the Coke had evaporated leaving no liquid left in the pot. Coke will tenderize meat but since I was using the pressure cooker and not the crock pot I should have added more water or stock. Luckily we got to it before the roast was ruined. All it took was 20 minutes of scrubbing the bottom of the pressure cooker and starting over with lots of stock. Let me be your example-your family will thank you!!

2 comments:

  1. I haven't had pound cake in forever! Maybe I should try that soon. With some of our beloved cool whip and some fresh strawberries...

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's funny because that's exactly what I told my husband!!

    ReplyDelete